High-level meeting on HIV/AIDS 2021: Action Alert
International Council of AIDS Service Organizations (ICASO) along with partners has issued ACTION ALERT, which aims to inform civil society organisations about getting involved in the high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS, scheduled to happen in the United Nations in New York on June 8-10, 2021.
This Action Alert describes the process’s essential features and focuses on civil society involvement opportunities. It also guides on key advocacy actions that you can take now.
- In February 2021, the General Assembly approved Resolution A/75/L.59 that sets out the process (modalities) for the organization of the 2021 high-level meeting (HLM) on AIDS, which will “undertake a comprehensive review of the progress on the commitments made in the 2016 Political Declaration towards ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030”.
- The interactive multi-stakeholder hearing will take place no later than 15 April 2021 in preparation for the HLM session in June.
- In-person, virtual or hybrid, the meeting’s format will be decided by April 2021 by the President of the General Assembly based on an assessment of the health conditions and in close consultation with the Member States. The proceedings will be webcast.
- The high-level meeting will comprise plenary sessions and up to five thematic panel discussions. The opening plenary meeting will feature statements by the President of the General Assembly, the UN Secretary-General, the Executive Director of UNAIDS, a person openly living with HIV and an eminent person actively engaged in the AIDS response.
- It is expected that the HLM Outcome Document adopted will be a concise and action-oriented declaration to be agreed upon by the Member States towards achieving the commitment of ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030. In the past, only the most contentious paragraphs were left to be approved at the HLM.
GET INVOLVED IN THE HIGH-LEVEL MEETING: