AFEW is uniquely positioned as one of the few HIV, TB, hepatitis and sexual and reproductive health and rights organisations working in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. This is a region where the work is сritical, as HIV and sexually transmitted infections are on the rise, sexuality education is deficient and gender-based violence goes largely unrecognized. Further, cases of multidrug resistant and extensive drug resistant tuberculosis are increasing; and there is a very high prevalence of hepatitis C. The group with the highest risk for HIV and HIV related diseases are people who use drugs. However, transmission through sexual contact is increasing and the prevalence among women and men who have sex with men is increasing.
AFEW is dedicated to improving the health of key populations in society. With a focus on Eastern Europe and Central Asia, AFEW strives to promote health and increase access to prevention, treatment and care for major public health concerns such as HIV, TB, viral hepatitis, and sexual and reproductive health.
We seek to do this by:
• Advocating for human rights for key populations and upholding their rights to health.
• Engaging communities in developing participatory approaches.
• Stopping the stigma of HIV, AIDS, hepatitis and TB by providing information to community leaders and creating a supportive environment.
• Developing and supporting health services for key populations.
• Utilising innovative strategies to promote healthy behaviours.
The vision of AFEW is a world in which vulnerable groups in society have access to health care without stigma and discrimination.