The Latest Global Prison Trends Publication Launched
Last week, on 15 May 2018, Penal Reform International launched its annual flagship publication, Global Prison Trends 2018, at the UN Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice.
This is the fourth edition in their annual Global Prison Trends series and explores:
- Trends in the use of imprisonment, including the use of pre-trial detention as an automatic response to suspects; the ongoing challenge of prison overcrowding; and the steady growth in the number of life-sentenced prisoners around the world.
- Prison populations, such as the specific needs of women, children and LGBTI prisoners.
- Developments and challenges in prison management, including record levels of prisoner violence in a number of prison systems; healthcare challenges and shortages of qualified healthcare staff; and the need to address violent extremism and prevent radicalisation in the prison system.
- The role of technology in criminal justice and prison systems, such as the use of ‘telemedicine’ to provide mental healthcare and treatment, and the rise in access to online education and training.
- The expansion of prison alternatives, including community service orders and electronic monitoring, and a growing trend in the use of restorative justice.
A Special Focus section looks at the rehabilitation and reintegration of offenders in the era of sustainable development.
Here you can find ten key facts that are of particular interest about the report.